Law Office of Flora Chou

Design Rebrand (in progress)

Personal Project, 2018

Introduction

My client for this particular project is a Taiwanese-American lawyer who has just recently started her business independently in Immigration & Federal Law. It has been around a year since she started her office, and she was thinking about her brand when she approached me as her method of marketing herself wasn't as effective as she thought. 

 

 

Requirements

  • A new logo, business card, letterhead, and email signature

  • Wants a feminine flair that also speaks to her Taiwanese roots

 

Process

  1. Analysis of prior business card

  2. Logo Process

  3. Revisions, iterations + maintaining feminity, culture, and professionalism throughout the four documents.

    3.1 Letterhead Iterations
    3.2 Business Card Iterations

‚Äč

1. The Old Business Card

Problem Areas

- The black text against the white card isn't very eye-catching 

- Information is smooshed on the lower half 

- The standard font chosen doesn't show off much flair or personality

 

 

2. Logo Iterations

Patterns

A big proponent that's still current in Taiwanese culture is the usage of red signature stamps. When people go to the bank, they'll often stop by their storage box to pick up their stamps before waiting in line to sign any document.

 

I wanted to incorporate that aspect into the new logo so that it's an iconic piece that people will instantly think of Flora Chou and associate her Taiwanese roots with it.

 

Process

I worked on different ways of combining "F" and "C" and landed on using the "C" to make up the "F" in Illustrator. I also tried forming a lowercase version but due to the extra curves and lines of the "f," it made the lowercase c look more like a lowercase e. 

 

From there, I decided to make the strokes in a calligraphy brush form because in the actual stamps, the ink never quite transfers perfectly. Also, I found that by just having the solid basic line, it made the branding more industrial with less of the personal touch Flora wanted.

 

 

Basic Line Weight

Variation in Calligraphy Brush

3. Revisions

3.1 Letterhead

I struggled a lot with fitting the title of the office in the header while also maintaining the contact information. I ended up printing out a copy (shown below) to see what could be revised from the client perspective and I realized a lot needed to be done.

 

- Spacing issue: the spacing between the lines are inconsistent especially on the left-hand side

- Alignment issue: the phone number/email offset looks off with a right alignment, the entire header needs to be pushed up

- Logo issue: the logo is too light and looks off on paper due to the faded opacity of the brushstroke line at the footer

- Typos: I also made a few silly mistakes like leaving out the full name of my client & getting the phone number and address wrong

 

Notes + Revisions from Iteration One

Revised document (grey frame not included)

3.1 Letterhead Revisions (Cont'd)

Iteration Two

The variation in font size and line weight is a little offputting especially between "attorney at law," "immigration & federal law," and "admitted in New York." I wanted to try out a new layout where there are fewer lines due to the fact that the previous header was already clustered due to the name length requirement the client asked for.

 

I was also asked to make a secondary letterhead page that's more muted than the first page with smaller fonts and also less text.

 

I struggled a little bit with getting this into a Word document because Illustrator only changes the work into editable PDF files which aren't practical for working professionals.

 

3.2 Business Card Revisions

First Draft

I decided to choose a script font for the client's name in order to maintain the feminine and personal quality that Ms. Chou wanted. I chose a legible and rounder san serif font as the secondary font so I chose Futura PT.

 

I ended up using Rollerskript for the contact information to keep everything cohesive throughout the card. I also used the same calligraphy line from the letterhead to maintain cohesiveness overall for the client's brand.

 

I will say, the information is rather illegible and not as clean as it could be due to the fact that it looks so similar to handwriting.

3.2 Business Card Revisions

Iteration Two

My client wanted a new style with the business card just to see what other options there are. She wanted her card to pop, so I tried a different format where the logo and name didn't have that heavy of a presence to distract from the information at hand.

 

I also found that the font used for the address and contact information in the first iteration wasn't very legible so I used Futura PT. I kept Rollerskript for the client's name to keep the personalized/feminine flair that she wanted.